RE: Question for Tuesday, September 26: What Can Libraries Do,What Do Libraries Need

Re: What do libraries need to fill the role they'd like to play? One of the things we've learned in our partnership with ALA, "Libraries Build Sustainable Communities," is that libraries need models and success stories re. innovative practices. This is to appeal to the vast majority of library professionals, trustees & volunteers who do not see themselves as trendsetters (they're already out there creating the new models of participation), but as responsible actors in the community. Once they incorporate "building capacity for environmental decision making" into their role definition, they take pride in knowing how to identify whatever resources they feel they need. Of course, some steady funding sources that help them fulfil this role would always be useful!