Posting for Sept. 21

September 21:EPA Information - EPA Mission

Today's question on the accuracy, timeliness and accessibility of EPA information in my mind really leads to the question of whether the EPA is adequately pursuing its mission from its establishment in 1970 to provide coordinated and effective action on behalf of the environment. Certainly there will always be disagreement on this since the EPA is subject to political pressure and political appointments, but from its history of research and publishing, and from my contact with EPA staff (although limited), I would say the agency has done pretty well. If one were to find fault with the Federal government in the environmental sphere, I would point to the Congress, which enacts the laws the EPA is expected to enforce.