Joining the discussion

I'm the 4-H Program Associate in the Newark, NJ area.  I serve as
an environmental education facilitator for NJDEP and the Wetlands
Institute (Project Learning Tree, Wild, and WET), and I review EPA
grant proposals for projects outside my area.

I am interested in bringing environmental education to urban youth
through clubs, school groups, and afterschool programs. Since I
have worked in a library, I'm interested in the use of libraries
for afterschool environmental education programs. I am also
interested in training teachers and youth leaders to use new
information technologies for educating youth at home, school, and
at the libraries.

I am currently developing a workshop on insects which will help
teachers and afterschool child care providers teach children
about Integrated Pest Management, which includes reduction of
the use of pesticides. This is particularly timely in the New York
metropolitan area, where mosquitoes are being sprayed to control
the West Nile Virus.

A list of websites on IPM for school-aged children would help me
very much. I am also seeking information on the effects of
pesticides on beneficial insects.

Thank you very much for any feedback you can provide.

Mary Lou