No Subject

[128.2.84.92])
	by andrew.cmu.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id JAA09199;
	Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:33:22 -0500 (EST)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:26:26 -0500
To: pgh-inet@network-democracy.org
From: Kathy Schroerlucke <kathys@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: I-Net/Statement of Principals/It is Here
Cc: TVK2000@aol.com
Sender: owner-pgh-inet@network-democracy.org

Tim:

I think you have misunderstood some language that is being used or have
been given some false information.  To what are you referring, when you say
that the I-Net Working group is working to install a

>private-sector, profit-making entity between the community organizations and
>the City/AT & T  Cable Franchise process.

?

I've been involved with the I-Net Working Group from the beginning.  This
group of people have been working exclusively on behalf of non-profit
organizations.  There has never been nor never will be a for-profit motive
or factor in this group.    Any group that emerges out of this effort to
help non-profits connect, will itself be a non-profit.  The very organizing
principle around which the I-Net Working Group came together was to find a
cost-effective, equitable and cooperative way for all non-profits and
community groups to participate in the high speed connectivity that the
AT&T fiber optics being installed throughout the city as a result of the
city cable franchise agreement.

It is easy to misunderstand language that is being used in this work.  I
find it extremely complicated.  Things have had to happen very quickly and
there hasn't been time to adequately clarify each term.   The only way
someone can really understand what's going on is to attend the meetings.
It's difficult to be on periphery and get an understanding.  More
importantly, as a result of attending these meetings, I have learned to
trust in those who have championed our cause.  They are doing a great job
in helping to open the doors for all non-profits and community groups,
doors that otherwise would have remained closed.

A "private" virtual network means that we (i.e. the non-profit and
community organization community) will be able to use the collective and
cooperative power represented by non-profits and community groups to make
connecting possible for all non-profits.  We don't as yet know what it will
cost, but in several meetings I've attended, we've already begun to discuss
how a representative group might be established to help determine policy
and procedures that ensures equity in participation.  I work with some of
the leanest community organizations.  You can be sure that I will advocate
on their behalf and ensure their ability to connect.  There are people in
this effort with great integrity and with strong convictions to democracy
and equity in access.  In fact, it is a desire for universal access and
equity in access that drives most of us to this work.  We would like to see
the digital divide completely disappear in Pittsburgh and our region.

Please start coming to the I-Net meetings.  I think it will help you
understand better what this group has been working so hard to accomplish.

Kathy Schroerlucke
Regional Community Technology Collaborative

At 11:23 AM 12/17/99 -0500, TVK2000@aol.com wrote:
>I'm unsettled regarding your well-stated, yet overwhelming rhetorical support
>for the community, while you at the same time ignore what appears to be
>special interests within the so called I-NET's leadership  to install a
>private-sector, profit-making entity between the community organizations and
>the City/AT & T  Cable Franchise process.
>
>I think rather after discussing with a few people in the group, AT & T and
>the city, that we may start a new I-NET group.  This one will be free from
>any special interests, technically competent and dedicated completely to the
>community (i.e. NOT FOR PROFIT).
>
>Any interest out there in joining the not-for-profit I-NET?
>
>Thank You!
>
>Tim Kelly
>412-434-5931

Swift Search Quick Questions Fast Facts Debate and Discuss Briefing Book