Back to Pittsburgh I-Net Home
Debate & Discuss
Message Archive

RE: I-Net/Statement of Principals/It is Here

Tim,

As you know, the I-Net Working Group is basically a bunch of volunteers
dedicated to finding a voice in the cable franchise negotiations for
schools, libraries and community-based organizations.  The collective voice
of the Working Group has made an impact on the cable contract negotiations.

Nothing gets done when we sit on the side lines waiting for the perfect
model of civic engagement.  The I-Net Group has stepped to the plate and
taken action.  The leadership and cooperation I have seen over the last 6
months just on this issues suggests that we can accomplish much more on a
larger scale.  We are currently negotiating a telecommunications package for
schools, liberties and cbo's to share infrastructure, offer free hook ups to
dedicated high bandwidth, open access to learning content; collaborative
planning and budgeting.  I would hate think of what we would get if we stuck
with the language in the contract that the City announced in late November.

I know that this is only a beginning, but do you really think any of this
would have happen without the effort of the 70 groups that have participated
in the process facilitated and supported by the I-Net Working Group?

Gerry