Re: Web Content and Change in Teacher Practice

Barry L. Chad (chadb@clpgh.org)
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 12:23:41 EST

From:	MX%"content@info-ren.pitt.edu" 29-MAR-1997 12:08:44.85
To:	MX%"content@info-ren.pitt.edu"
CC:
Subj:	Re: Web Content and Change in Teacher Practice

From: Suzanne Alejandre <salejan@e2.empirenet.com>

>We want students to be inspired by this content and then be
>>encouraged to go off and create their own musical instruments.

I doubt it.....my students tend to be passive learners and in order to
encourage them to go off and create something I have to supply some
ideas and create an environment for them to do that. I just don't see
that a Web page that they interact with (somewhat passively) will
make them think of going off the Web and making their own instrument!

***I disagree. A couple of weeks ago I was asked to speak to a 4th grade class
about the Common Knowledge/Carnegie Library project.  These 4th graders who
will be constructing their own WebSite were extraordinarily enthusiastic.
When they saw the variety of animated gifs, they literally flipped out.  I
think the majority of that class would have loved to create their own animated
gif.
How that blends in with the curriculum is the responsibility of the teacher.
The kids also loved the soundclips that I linked underneath some of my
transparent gifs.  There is real potential here for constructing a site about a
class-related topic or a site about the class itself.