RE: Fictional Government Accounting-Answer to James(2)

>From: Andre Dermant

Well, of course there is a difference in WHO OWNS THE BONDS. Yes, I think all the posters recognize a difference between SS and GM! And the TF doesn't 'sell' the obligations to the treasury, they 'redeem' them at maturity (or before maturity if finances dictate).

But indeed, for the bonds GM holds to have any value to themselves or a potential purchaser, they must believe that the gov't can and will find the money to pay the interest and redeem the bonds at maturity. Indeed, there is no practical difference in the two scenarios, although you seem to want to cling to that idea. The gov't owes .7 trillion to the SSTF and 3.7 trillion to the public (including the GM pension fund). Which bondholders should be more nervous? The US Treasury securities are the safest in the world!

Indeed they are, because it was on behalf of the income tax payers that the general fund borrowed the money from the SSTF for general fund expenses, promising that the INCOME TAX PAYERS would redeem such bonds in due course!