RE: Bipartisan Consensus

	First, I would like to express my support for the thoughts expressed
by my colleague, Rep. Thurman.  I would also like to add that both the
President's plan, as well as the Archer-Shaw proposal, seem to reflect a
growing consensus around reinforcing Social Security rather than replacing
the current system.  Both proposals recognize Social Security's  commitment
to providing a guaranteed benefit.  Furthermore, both plans rely upon future
government surpluses, making the task of strengthening Social Security less
challenging.   These are promising steps towards ensuring that our elderly,
disabled, widowed, and orphaned are provided for in their time of need.

Rep. Xavier Becerra