RE: Why should Social Security reform happen now?

Each of our Congressional panalists have eluded to the "fact" that we have this window of oportunity because of a budget surplus but fail to note that this budget surplus is merely a surplus made available because of a Social Security surplus! Now if they want to continue to consider this a budget surplus because of the SS surplus then I guess that technically they are correct. But as for me, I'll consider it a budget surplus when they acheive it without SS funds.
While we must strive to acheive long term solvency for SS, we can now, right now, acheive a measure of short term solvency by removing the SS surplus from the general budget and that doesn't take a financial genious to understand.
Mac