Mr. Rother: Why Shouldn't Affluent Current Retirees Be a Part of the Solution?

Some form of means testing of current benefits is necessary. While there is injustice inherent in means testing, we are faced with the problem of finding the lesser evil.

I see it as a greater evil to pay full benefits to all and to fund this by making future unborn generations pick up the tab in full. Current retirees must bear part of the burden through means testing. Current workers should not expect to reap the full benefit of their past contributions.

No matter how much we might rail against the "Government" and demand that it "keep its promises" there is no person there to hear our moral indignation or to be condemned for breaking its promises. The blows you strike to keep your benefits will only fall on your own children and grandchildren.

The system was not properly designed in the first place to deal with the demographic realities we now face.

The best justice we can hope to obtain is a fair distribution of the burden of reform between current retirees (means testing), current workers (the "double burden" of transition costs), and future, unborn workers (paying part of the debt we have racked up).

No, means testing is not fair. But the alternative is more unfair.

Walter Hart