RE: Reforms: Political Realities

>From: Michael Jones

Well actually, the numbers don't show that at all. That's the problem. For many higher wage persons, the 'numbers' show a bad 'ROR'. But for the working poor, the numbers show a healthy 'ROR'. Indeed, look at the CATO's plan for reform.

When they talk about allowing people the option to remain in SS, they say things like:

Wait a minute. If the benefits of the CATO plan come from being a pre-paid system, instead of pay-as-you-go, why doesn't the gov't just change the financing of the remaining SS under the CATO plan to pre-paid. And the gov't could have private money managers invest the funds partially, just as they do for gov't workers TSP. That would be transparent to the recipients. Then we would not talk about raising retirement ages or cutting future benefits. Right? Because we 'know' the return would be 2 to 3 times the current system. Right?

Wrong. Those remaining in SS under their plan would be largely the working poor. And their SS benefits would go down. That is indeed what the CATO plan tells us, when we read between the lines. CATO knows this. If your annual salary is $15,000, the CATO reform is not a good deal, as it would be if you make $60,000. By the time the low wage worker pays for life and disability insurance, the amount left for investment will have a problem matching SS returns.

You have a naive view of the Federal budget process. The non-defense discretionary spending amounts to about $300 billion out of the $1.8 trillion budget. To cut that part of the budget by $60 billion will have real effects on real people. Under Reagan, the rest of the budget, outside of Defense, Interest on the Debt, SS and Medicare, actually decreased 8% in real dollar terms, but the deficit exploded. There is no 'free money' in the budget.

Take another example: Medicare. The growth of Federal revenues or the CPI is irrelevant. The rate of inflation in medical costs and the growth in Medicare beneficiaries is what counts. Your talk of changing percentages on a fictional spreadsheet is irrelevant. If we want the current Medicare program, we have to pay the bill. If not, we need to decide what it is we do want. Arbitrarily cutting the program to match your arbitrary percentages is nonsensical. Putting the cost on somebody else is not 'saving money' in terms of the nation as a whole.