Investing in Stocks

Re: Hutchison "C. Weaver: National Treasure", and "2% Solution"

    Re: Hutchison "C. Weaver:  National Treasure", and "2% Solution"

Thanks for the honorary degree.  I hope that all of you come away from this
debate feeling that you've learned something from Bob Reischauer and me.
I've learned something from all of you.  (I always learn something from Bob
too, no matter how many forums we participate in together.)  None of us has
all the answers.

As for the "2% solution" business, don't be distracted from the more
fundamental issues even for a moment.  This has been trotted out by everyone
who wants to hold on to the status quo, without owning up to what would be
required to do so.  As you may have learned in the other debate, a 2% tax
increase imposed today and left in place for the next 75 years would, under
one particular and very specific set of assumptions, close the long-range
financing gap in social security--meaning it would (on paper) allow benefits
to be paid on time through year 75.  Broke in year 76, but hey, that's
somebody else's problem I guess!  And, within a decade from now, the system
would be "out of actuarial balance" again--the actuaries' term for the
current situation.  (The long-range outlook is so poor that with each passing
decade, the actuaries have to drop out of their calculations the relatively
favorable years we are moving through and begin incorporating 10 very adverse
years after year 75, presently years 76-85, moving on year by year to years
86-95 and so on).  And broke much earlier if any of the actuaries'
assumptions prove to be too optimistic (presently there's concern that they
are understating likely future improvements in life expectancy, which would
have a big impact on a pay-as-you-go system).

The "2% solution" also presumes that we can run large surpluses in the next
couple of decades--and jack up the number of IOUs in the trust funds--and
meaningfully "save" those revenues to cover deficits in later decades.  We
know better than this.

The "2% solution" also implies that, once having borne this significant tax
increase, workers would then have a system that makes sense for the 21st
century.  In fact, we'd have a propped up version of what we have today.  No
extra benefits, no extra retirement income security, no property rights or
investment opportunities.  Just more taxes.

It's a disengenous proposal that people throw on the table to obfuscate the
issues,  I've yet to see anyone endorse it.

Also, what's so magic about 75 years?  Some like to suggest 75 years is too
long to even contemplate in designing a retirement plan.  This would be true
if we were talking about a voluntary, defined contribution plan.  If things
don't work out as expected, you can always drop out of the plan and take your
money with you.  With social security, you're in, period.  75 years is only
long enough to cover the expected period of retirement for today's young
workers and taxpayers.  Don't let anyone sell you short on this.  If they
aren't concerned that your taxes are contributing to a system that enhances
your retirement income security--let alone you (or my) childrens--they aren't
seriously interested in enhancing the well-being of American workers and
creating a sound and sustainable system for the 21st century.

We should have a system that can withstand a range of economic and
demographic conditions on a reasonably indefinite basis.  The days of "ad
hoc" adjustments--when benefits were increased whenever the trust funds
looked temporarily flush--are over.

Carolyn Weaver