Investing in Stocks

Discussion Questions

	    DISCUSSION QUESTIONS--by Carolyn Weaver

As both a panelist and a moderator, I'd like to pose a couple of
questions.  They are questions we hear all the time, whether from
policymakers, policy analysts, or ordinary citizens.

First, "What if we had another Great Depression or at least another
rotten period like we had in the 1970s.  Wouldn't a system of personal
accounts collapse?  How can you guarantee people that they won't end
up with nothing?"

Second, "Even if we have personal accounts, we ought to change the
investment policy for the trust funds. It just doesn't make sense to keep
the social security funds invested entirely in low-yielding government
bonds. With all the financial expertise now available, it ought to be easy
to figure out how to ensure the government invests in a neutral way,
without any political interference.  How can it be done?"

While I have a few thoughts of my own on these questions, we would
benefit from hearing yours.  Thanks.

On a point of ongoing discussion, the Burtless findings on replacement
rates, a couple of participants have commented on how his estimates
for an investment-based system, even though prepared in a manner that
exaggerates volatility, stack up pretty well compared to those projected
for social security.  You make a good point and one that can be
strengthened.  The replacement rates you refer to, the ones the Social
Security Administration projects under current law, can not be met in
future decades with the current level of payroll taxes.  If the nation
sticks with pay-as-you-go financing, benefit levels and thus replacement
rates would have to be reduced significantly to close the long-range
deficit.

Also, stay tuned for more.  There have been a number of questions and
comments relating to social security's unfunded liability, the national
debt, and transition costs.  I've taken note and do plan to respond.

Carolyn Weaver