Investing in Stocks

RE: More on risk

So...The cohorts who retired at age 62 in 1969-70 would have had a replacement rate close to 100%, while those who maintained their investment entirely in stock up until retirement at age 62 in the mid-70s would have had a replacement rate of 40%. Had they reallocated even partially away from stock into bonds before the market went sour they would have done better, right?

Social Security intends to provide a replacement rate of 42% at normal retirement age, or 33.6% at age 62, for the average worker. [Source: SSA Pub 05-10006, March 1998 at http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10006.html ]

Thank you, Mr. Reischauer, for providing this example to illustrate the superiority of individual investment accounts over Social Security, in terms of return potential.