RE: Reed Davis on Making Social Security's costs explicit

Reed Davis wrote:

"What would you think of carrying this one step further and making the
costs of Social Security's basic functions explicit?  These basic functions,
as I see it, are safety-net, insurance, and retirement program.  Splitting
these functions up, at least in their accounting, would allow us to decide
explicitly the size and form of each function that we wanted to support.
In addition, it would clarify a number of issues.  For example, it makes
much more sense to measure the return on the retirement portion than on
the entire program.  Nobody should expect a return from a safety-net or
insurance."

Excellent idea!