Response to Richard Arsinow

Dear Mr. Arsinow,

Thank you for contacting me on my Social Security reform proposal.
Below are answers to your questions:

"*Have you drafted this plan into a bill? What is its number?"

Sen. Santorum:  My proposal is still being developed, and so I have
not yet introduced it in bill form.

"*Am I to understand that there is more privatization of lower
wage-earners' FICA than that of higher wage-earners?"

Sen. Santorum:  Under my plan, the PRA structure is designed to mirror
current law Social Security's progressivity so that lower-wage workers
receive a higher portion of their covered earnings in their personally
owned and controlled PRA.  There were two primary reasons for my PRA
design along these lines:  1) to address concerns over administrative
costs; and 2) to enable low-wage workers and families greater savings
and wealth creation for retirement -- something that is not possible
under the current system, nor through most other retirement savings
vehicles given that payroll taxes and daily living expenses soak up so
much of working families' disposable income.  At the same time, my
plan retains the high degree of progressivity of Social Security's
basic defined benefit structure, so again lower-wage workers have a
higher degree of protection in comparison to their lifetime payroll
tax contributions, and are not exposed to new risks, especially if
they choose to save and invest in government bonds.

"*It would appear that your plan proposes no changes to formula
benefits, and that the formula benefits are financed by "clawing back"
a certain amount from PRAs at retirement?  Is this correct?  In what
percentage of retirements is it projected that the PRA balance will be
sufficient to fully cover this "clawback"? What provisions are made
for funding the benefits when the PRA falls short? Isn't it true
that if the PRA falls short, the participant receives absolutely no
benefit from the privatization, because his or her PRA is "clawed
back" in its entirety?"

Sen. Santorum:  I will do my best to address the bevy of questions and
comments contained in this paragraph.  I have included several
provisions in my plan outline that specifically addresses Social
Security's enormous unfunded liabilities, and they are listed on this
forum's web site under my position paper.  I also discussed these in
greater detail in an earlier exchange posted on Friday, May 28,
"Response to Carolyn Cox).  On your question of benefit design, my
plan would integrate PRA advanced-funding with Social Security's
current defined benefit.  As my plan calls for aggregate PRAs of
approximately 3 percentage points of the current payroll tax rate, it
is not intended to replace all of one's old-age retirement benefit,
only a portion.  As a consequence, there is still 7.6 percentage
points of the current OASI tax rate going to fund old-age benefits of
current and near-to-be retirees, and also for funding everyone's basic
defined benefit.  And since my plan does not call for complete
integration of PRAs with the current system's defined benefit
structure, nearly all workers would be better off under my plan.

"*The rate of growth of benefits for higher-wage earners is a function
of past increases in the wage base which every year make up a greater
percentage of the AIME of new retirees, wage indexing
before retirement, and cost of living indexing after retirement. All
of these are deliberate features of Social Security. The wage base
increase, in particular, has been paid for exclusively by higher
wage-earners through their substantially increased payroll taxes since
the wage base was increased. That being the case, why do you wish to
'slow the rate of growth of benefits for higher wage-earners'?
How exactly do you propose doing so?"

Sen. Santorum:  My plan calls for gradual adjustments to the benefit
formula for higher wage workers by phasing-in a new, third bend point.  I
do not propose reindexing the calculation of the CPI-W on which the
various facets of current law Social Security are annually based.  Again,
I explain this provision in my discussion with Carolyn Cox (posted on
Friday, May 28, "Response to Carolyn Cox).

"*In your post, you promise 'no increase in the...already-scheduled
Normal Retirement Age (67)'. In your paper, you propose to reindex the
NRA adjustment. Please explain."

Sen. Santorum:  As you may know, the 1983 Social Security Act amendments
provided for gradually increasing the NRA from 65 to 67.  This begins
for individuals who are first eligible for benefits (turning 62) in
2000.  But there is a period of 11 years where the NRA stays at 66.  I
do not support raising either the early eligibility age (62) or the NRA
beyond 67.  Rather, I propose to continue this phase-in without any
arbitrary interruptions, so as to treat successive birth cohorts
equally.

"*Regarding the values outlined in your post, many participants in
this forum distinguish between a 'safety net', which is a minimum
retirement benefit designed to keep any eligible retiree out of
poverty, and redistribution of funds from higher wage-earners to
lower wage-earners, called 'progressivity' by some. You seem to
combine the two in value number 1. While I fully support the 'safety
net', I question the fairness of such redistribution. I feel that it
is at odds with your value number 5, improving EQUITY for all
participants. Please address this."

Sen. Santorum:  As you may know, one of the guiding principles of Social
Security from its inception has been redistribution.  That is to say,
individuals with lower earnings over their working lifetimes are supposed
to get back relatively more in benefits than workers with higher earnings.
The reasons for this are many, and are rooted in the early debates of
constructing the program, but essentially Social Security's redistribution
can be traced to the program's dual foundations of providing benefits that
are based on both social adequacy but also individual equity.  The
redistributive nature of Social Security is to what I refer when I mention
"progressivity," and in my view it is essentially synonymous with the term
"safety net."  I view these two terms this way because lower wage workers,
if they live long enough to become eligible for benefits, receive a
"stronger" benefit as a percentage of their lifetime earnings than do
higher wage workers.
In terms of individual equity, this refers to reforming Social Security
so as to reestablish a stronger sense of a proportional link between
contributions and benefits.  Social Security's "money's worth" on
contributions, because of the nature of pay-as-you-go financing, are now
dropping for all workers--and have sunk beneath the risk-free government
bond rate for most high-earning workers.  This is an issue that was of
great concern to FDR and the other architects of Social Security back in
the 1930s.  There was considerable sensitivity to making sure that the
program provided workers with retirement benefits on a basis that at least
matched what they could purchase in the private insurance markets.  Indeed,
Arthur Altmeyer, one of the designers of Social Security and the first
Social Security Commissioner, said that it would be inequitable to compel
workers to participate in a system that costs them more than it would cost
to purchase similar benefits through private means.
The falling equity of Social Security returns for many Americans is
leading to widespread public dissatisfaction about Social Security's
worsening "deal."  In fact, according to the Social Security
Administration, this is the last year that individuals claiming old-age
benefits will receive a present value internal rate of return that equals
or exceeds what they could have derived if their payroll tax contributions
had been invested solely in government bonds.  All future birth cohorts
would be better off investing in government bonds than participating in
Social Security for their old-age benefits.
It is this very serious problem that personal accounts are designed to
address.  In addition to providing greater retirement security for the low
wage worker by keeping and enhancing the current progressive safety net,
personal accounts help restore the link between benefits and contributions.
Under current law, individuals' "return" on contributions will get
progressively worse because of a maturing pay-as-you-go public pension
system, and even more so with any traditional "fixes" of raising taxes or
cutting benefits to keep the program afloat for another 15 or 20 years.
On this subject, I would also commend your attention to the insightful
remarks posted today by Senator Gregg:  "Steve Johnson Post on 1988 vs.
2015."

"*While not mentioned in your paper, at the end of your post 'no COLA
adjustments' appears, without elaboration. Does this mean that COLA will
be eliminated on Social Security benefits? When would
they be discontinued? How would you counter arguments that this
constitutes a benefit cut? What would you say to people whose Social
Security benefits represent their major source of income over
many years of inflation?"

Sen. Santorum:  I apologize for any misunderstanding here.  My plan does
not do anything to the current system's cost-of-living-adjustment.  Under
my plan, COLAs would continue in their present form, as calculated by the
Bureau of Labor Statistics, so that Social Security benefits would keep
pace with annual inflation.

I hope this addresses all of your questions.  Thank you for your
participation.

Senator Rick Santorum