2. For all Panelists: Is a 7% Stock Forecast Prudent?

Again, this question is asked in the quality circle spirit of
everyone working together to find a truly robust solution.

C.  Is it prudent to forecast seven percent real returns for
stock investors in the future?

It has been said that an S&P 500 index fund investor would have
earned average real returns of 7% on the stock market, adjusted
for inflation, over the past seven decades.  This is roughly
right.

It has also been said that 7% returns are as likely in the next
seven decades as they were in the last.  Indeed, the Archer-Shaw
proposal is premised on this assumption.  Yet this assertion
seems highly questionable.

Seven percent returns consist of two ingredients:  Price
appreciation, and Reinvested dividends.  Of the two, dividends
have played a much more important role in the total return
equation than has price appreciation.

Price appreciation averaged 2.3% a year, for the S&P 500 index,
once inflation is taken out.
It lagged 3.3% real GDP growth by a full percentage point.
If the growth rate of the workforce slows from 1.4% a year to
0.4%, as predicted, then we're likely to see the GDP growth rate
slow as well.
And, it would seem, we're also likely to see the long-run
S&P 500 price appreciation rate slow correspondingly.

The dividend yield, for S&P 500 companies, averaged 4.6%.
For the stock market as a whole, the aggregate dividend yield
was a little lower - perhaps 3.6%, or 3.8%.

The only way for the dividend yield in the future to be the same
is for the conditions that we had in the past to repeat themselves,
wouldn't you agree?
Aggregate dividend payouts have to be roughly the same, relative
to GPD.
And the aggregate market capitalization of the entire stock market,
relative to GDP, would also have to be roughly the same.

It's not unlikely that aggregate dividend payouts will be roughly
the same.  They seem to run a steady two-and-a-quarter to two-and-
a-half percent of GDP, no matter what else is happening in the
economy.

But doesn't it seem unlikely that the aggregate market
capitalization will average 65% of GDP over the next seven
decades, as it did over the last seven?  With the Market
Capitalization-to-GDP Ratio is somewhere up around 170% or 180%
now.  Even if it drifts down from that level, in the years to
come, as it surely will, it's unlikely to be nearly as low in
the future as it was in the past.

Low Market Capitalization-to-GDP Ratios are associated with high
inflation rates, high interest rates, high discount rates, and
low P/E multiples, are they not?  And high Market Capitalization-
to-GDP Ratios are associated with low inflation rates, low
interest rates, low discount rates, and high P/E multiples,
right?

So, if we assume low inflation, low interest rates, and low
discount rates, we can also assume higher P/E multiples and
higher Market Capitalization-to-GDP Ratios in the future.

Which means that we have to assume lower aggregate dividend yields,
does it not?  The higher the price of the stock on which a
dividend is earned, the lower the yield rate.  The higher the
aggregate value of the total stock market on which total
corporate dividends are paid, the lower the aggregate yield
rate for the market as a whole.

That's the argument from logic.  It merely underlines the question:
Is it prudent to forecast 7 percent returns?

Now, if you like, read on.
The same argument on stock returns can be made from a different
set of empirical data.

If you look at the Market Capitalization-to-GDP Ratio over time
(too bad this forum doesn't support charts as part of our
submissions - it's quite a fascinating chart), you can see four
distinct phases in stock market capitalization.

1.  There's a Trough-to-Trough Phase.  Market Cap-to-GDP Ratios
are low throughout.

2.  There's a Trough-to-Peak Ramp-Up phase.  Market Cap-to-GDP
Ratios start out low, but a growing economy and rising P/E
multiples carry the market to a substantially higher price level.

3.  There's the Peak-to-Peak Plateau Phase.  Market Cap-to-GDP
Ratios remain high throughout.

4.  Finally, there's a Peak-to-Trough Crash.  P/E ratios tank,
and Market Cap-to-GDP Ratios go into a precipitous slide.

Let's look at the returns that would be earned by an S&P 500
investor in each of these phases.
We'll assume that our hypothetical investor has real wage gains
of one or two percent a year, and that he, or she, puts aside an
equal percentage of payroll each year into an S&P 500-based
index fund, with all dividends reinvested, and no management fees
or taxes assessed.

Our hypothetical investor does do one thing that's a little
unusual, though.
She starts investing at the beginning of a phase, and then cashes
 out at the end.
She does this, obviously, to accommodate our desire to learn more
about the relative returns to an investor, as a function of the
phase in which they're investing.
Note the returns she earns, phase by phase:

1936 - 1942.  Peak to Trough Downturn. Real returns of - 4.7%.  Ouch!
1942 - 1953.  Trough-to-Trough Phase.  Real returns of  +7.5%
1953 - 1961.  Trough-to-Peak Ramp-Up.  Real returns of  +11.6%
1961 - 1972.  Peak-to-Peak Plateau.  Real returns of  +5.5%.
1972 - 1974.  Peak-to-Trough Crash.  Real returns of  -26.3%.  An even bigger OUCH!
1974 - 1984.  Trough-to-Trough Phase.  Real returns of  +8.0%
1984 - present.  Trough-to-Peak Ramp-up.  Real returns of  +15% or better.

Here are the associated figures for Market Capitalization-to-GDP Ratios:

1936 - 1942:  Market Cap-to-GDP Ratio falls from about 100% to about 35%
1942 - 1953:  The ratio fluctuates between 35% and 50%
1953 - 1961:  It rises from about 40% to about 90%
1961 - 1972:  It fluctuates between 80% and 105%
1972 - 1974:  It collapses from about 95% to about 41%
1974 - 1984:  It fluctuates between 40% and 55%
1984 - present:  Market Cap-to-GDP Ratio rises from about 43% to about 175%

The trend patterns yield several insights.

Obviously, the market's a harsh place to be during a Peak-to-
Trough Crash.
The 1936-1942 downturn wasn't pleasant, with low negative returns.
And the 1972-1974 downturn was horrific, with steep negative returns.

And the stock market's quite wonderful during a Trough-to-Peak ramp-up.
Returns in the 1953 - 1961 ramp-up were quite nice, and returns
in the 1984-Present ramp-up have been even nicer.

But - here's the interesting question.
Are returns better during a Trough-to-Trough phase, when stock
prices are low, and dividend yields high?
Or better during a Peak-to-Peak phase, when stock prices are
higher, and dividend yields lower?

Think about it.

In turns out that an S&P 500 investor actually does quite a bit
during a Trough-to-Trough period.
The 1942-53 Trough-to-Trough period produced real returns of 7.5%.
The 1974-84 Trough-to-Trough period produced real returns of 8.0%.
By contrast, the 1961-72 Peak-to-Peak phase produced real
returns of only 5.5%.

Why?  Lower stock prices, during a Trough, mean higher dividend
yields.  And higher rates of return.

What does this say about future rates of return?
Considering the market phases that await us next, after the
current Trough-to-Peak phase ends.
And considering the likelihood that future market phases
will take place at somewhat higher capitalization levels than past
market phases.

To repeat the question to the panelists:
I'd be most interested in your thoughts on the advisability of
forecasting real returns of seven percent as part of any Social
Security reform package.

-Steve Johnson

PS.  My graph on the Market Capitalization-to-GDP Ratio can be
found at http://www.sscommonsense.org/page04.html