I have a few more issues to raise, and I'll break them out into
separate postings.

But first, some notes of appreciation.  What a lively forum!

I'd like to thank Sen. Santorum for his response on the issue
of real rates of return in the stock market.  In his reply,
the Senator focused on price appreciation, and noted that,
if it's tied to the GDP growth rate, we shouldn't be pessimistic.
Even if population growth slows down, our economy's potential
for strong productivity growth remains solid.  I can't argue
with that.

On stock returns, though, it's important to note that two-thirds
of the well-known seven percent number were actually derived
from reinvested dividends, only one-third from price appreciation.
And Sen. Santorum didn't comment on the issue of whether dividend
yield rates can be sustained.  There, I think, the evidence is
fairly indisputable.  Dividend yields are quite low now, and the
prospects that they'll return to their historic levels aren't great.
I'll return to this issue in a later posting.

Thanks also to Rep. Shaw for his very clear reply to my questions on the
Archer-Shaw plan.  I'd like to raise the issue of real rates of
return with him as well.  He makes his stock return assumptions
quite explicit, which I appreciate.  He expects 7% returns, and
he also expects to see stock-rich personal account portfolios,
with a weighted average return, after fees, of 5.35 percent.

A close examination of the empirical evidence on historical
seven percent returns suggests that the same factors which
produced seven percent returns in the past are now poised to
produce somewhat lower returns in the future.  A more prudent
forecast for the Archer-Shaw proposal, therefore, might be a
weighted average portfolio return of only 4 percent.

Thanks also to Sen. Gregg for his comments on the issue of
whether the process of paying off Social Security debt,
commencing about 2014 or 2015, constitutes new spending or
merely a refinancing.  I brought up the issue in the context of
his earlier point about how to figure rates of return on Social
Security taxes paid.  After I wrote my posting on refinancing,
it occurred to me that perhaps the real issue is one of double-
counting.

In figuring the rate of return on Social Security tax dollars
paid, Sen. Gregg seemed to me to be suggesting that one should count
both the payroll tax dollar initially paid, say in 1988, even
if it went into the Social Security surplus, to be then loaned
to the Treasury, and then the income tax dollar paid in much
later, say in 2016, to redeem Treasury's debt to Social Security.
In figuring the rate of return on the taxes paid in, that
produce a dollar paid to a beneficiary in 2016, my question is:
do we count both dollars?  The 1988 payroll tax dollar?  And the
2016 income tax dollar?  If we do, that would lower the rate of
return, wouldn't it?  But it's double-counting to count them
both, so we probably shouldn't.  If the 1988 dollar counts, then
the 2016 dollar doesn't.  Or, if the 2016 dollar counts, then the
1988 dollar doesn't.

To get off this technicality, though, and back to one of the
broader point on which Senator Gregg raised some very important
issues.  One was the issue about the tough situation that Social
Security's debt places the Treasury in, when the time comes to
redeem the debt.

I think I'd favor having the Treasury redeem all of Social
Security's debt as fast as possible, without waiting till 2015
or so.  Why?  Because we need a marker event, that makes a break
between the past and the future.  Social Security's past is a
pay-as-you-go past.  In the past, it didn't matter that it was
treated as just another program.  Money in, money out, just like
hundreds of other programs.

But now we're stepping into a new future.  In which Social
Security needs to be regarded as a funded pension program, with
fiduciary responsibilities to retirees.  (Partially-funded, not
fully-funded, but still funded.)  Its assets could well be
sizeable.  They shouldn't be commingled in any way shape or form
with Treasury funds.  They should be banked and managed separately.
And Social Security should at least be given the freedom to
invest in non-federal government bonds.

Do this, and what happens?  Treasury owes roughly $5.4 trillion
to its creditors.  $3.8 trillion of that is to outside creditors,
$1.6 trillion to trust funds within the government.  Redeem the
$800 billion it owes Social Security, and its debt still remains
at $5.4 trillion.  Only now, $4.6 trillion is owed outside, and
$0.8 trillion is owed inside.  It truly is a refinancing, and
better to do it now than later, I say.

Then the $2.8 trillion subsidy that the President has proposed
becomes a true subsidy, not just a funny money game.  $2.8
trillion in real cash has to flow, over time, from the Treasury
to Social Security.  Which, in turn, invests that cash in a range
of securities, so as to build up its capital pool to a level
that ultimately results in lasting solvency for Social Security.

The President's subsidy, by the way, is probably no greater, in
the long run, than the subsidy that will be needed if a personal
account system is created as an add-on to the current system,
and financed through tax credits, as the Archer-Shaw proposal
suggests.  In fact, if the Archer-Shaw credit system becomes a
permanent feature of the federal budget, it will undoubtedly
turn out to be a much more expensive subsidy than the President's
proposed subsidy.

Thanks also to Rep. Stenholm for his comments on the issues I
raised about Ron Gebhardtsbauer's chart.  He noted that he didn't
like the idea of building up a large Trust Fund, because it would
represent nothing but an even larger obligation for the federal
government.  I agree on that.  While I do like the idea of a large
Trust Fund, because I think it's part of the solution for long-term
solvency, I don't like the idea of the Trust Fund being
filled up with federal government bonds.  That wouldn't be a
healthy practice, either from Social Security's perspective, or
from Treasury's perspective.  Better, in fact, to repeat the
point I just made, to allow Social Security to invest elsewhere,
and for Treasury to redeem its existing debt to Social Security
as rapidly as is feasible.

On the issue of the Kolbe-Stenholm bill itself, this is clearly
a judgment call.  If long-run real returns to stocks are lower than
the bill's authors anticipate, there's a fairly significant cut
in the aggregate benefit stream built into this proposal.  Ten
percent?  Fifteen percent?  Maybe even twenty percent?  Which, I
think, the bill's authors understand, probably better than any
of the rest of us.  Can we do better?  Even if we take a more
pessimistic view about long-run real returns in the stock market?
I think we can.

One final thought - a general point.  The issue of the unfunded $9
trillion liability has come up a number of times.  I believe Martin
Feldstein may have been the first to quantify the value of the
money owed to current and future retirees in those terms.

If Social Security is on the verge of becoming a funded retirement
program (partially funded), then how much of that $9 trillion
needs to be funded?  All of it?  Or only the portion that can't
be covered by the current pay-as-you-go tax rate?  It seems to
me that the amount which needs to be funded is the amount that
pay-as-you-go won't be adequate to finance.  $3 trillion, perhaps, or
$4 trillion.  Roughly 50% of GDP, perhaps, to put the number in
GDP terms.  If that's a reasonable way to look at it, then that
helps us think about our bogey.  We want a pool of capital, either
in the Trust Fund, or in PRA's, or in both, that's equal to at
least 50% of GDP.  (I actually think the real bogey, if we don't
want to cut benefits, is more like 65% of GDP.)  Thoughts on this,
anyone?

And now to a focused set of postings aimed at identifying some of the
key issues still open, and then framing an option that's aimed
at resolving the toughest and most vital issues.

-Steve Johnson