Re: Questions for Cong. Sanford and Nadler

> Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 12:19:53 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Pete Baker <pladd@tmn.com>
> Subject: Questions for Cong. Sanford and Nadler

>	To:  CONGRESSMAN NADLER
>	     CONGRESSMAN SANFORD

> 1.) Who supports your bills?

The people of the 1st District of South Carolina have talked to me
continuously for the past 5 years about saving their Social Security.  Based
on everything they've told me, I have drafted this bill.

> 2.) Does they have any chance to pass in the House?

     Right now, the House is at the debate stage.  A month ago, I
would have told you that there was under a 30% chance that any bill would
pass the House, but now I'm a little more optimistic.  My bill is designed
as a compromise approach, so I'm hopeful that a bill like mine would be the
type of bill that could pass the House.

> 3.) What do you consider the biggest political obstacles of your bills?

     The biggest obstacle to all of this is the ability of the
White House, Congressional Republicans, and Congressional Democrats to all
work together in passing a bipartisan reform solution.

> 4.) Would you both consider co - sponsoring legislation together?

     Of course I would be honored to work with Mr. Nadler in
drafting a bill to save Social Security by allowing people to build and
create real wealth for retirement.

Congressman Mark Sanford