opt-out

I would like to know from the panelists why everyone must be in SS- I keep hearing about the retirement program in Galveston and the 1 million people in CA that were allowed to opt out and the positive results they have reached- Why can't Americans invest in their own retirement and then just provide info. to the govt that we are in fact saving for our future-employees can keep 10% and have the other 2.4% go to a SS fund for the elderly/disabled-I WANT OUT!!!!!