Reply to Anne Beckett

Ms. Beckett,

Although there is an imbalance between the number of Republicans and
Democrats represented on this panel, I can assure you that Social Security
reform is an issue of equal concern for BOTH parties.  Participation on this
panel should not be construed as indicative of party interest.  Indeed,
there are several bills with bipartisan sponsorship.

*	The Kolbe-Stenholm bill has 8 sponsors: 3 Democrats (Rep. Charlie
Stenholm (D-TX), Rep. Karen McCarthy (D-MO), Rep. Cal Dooley (D-CA)), and 5
Republicans (myself, Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC), Rep. Nick Smith (R-MI), Rep.
Jim Greenwood (R-PA) and Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI)) .

*	The Gregg-Breaux bill also has bipartisan support.  This bill has 4
Republican sponsors: Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH), Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA),
Sen. Craig Thomas (R-WY), and Sen. Fred Thompson (R-TN); and 3 Democratic
sponsors: Sen. Chuck Robb (D-VA) Sen. Bob Kerrey (D-NE), and Sen. John
Breaux (D-LA).

You are right, though, in that there needs to be more involvement by ALL
Members of Congress.  This is best stimulated through grass roots efforts.
Therefore, I encourage you to contact your Representative and Senators in
Congress and ask them to get involved in the Social Security debate.  Ask
them for their opinion on what should be done and what reforms they support.
Many Members have websites and can be reached via e-mail.  I encourage you
to contact them.

-- Jim Kolbe