Questions for Members of Congress.

To the members of the Congress, thank you for making time to respond
to our questions and comments on Social Security reform.

On or about April 22 of this year I happen to be watching C-SPAN II when
something caught my attention.  During the Senate's debate on the Social
Security "Lockbox" legislation, I believe I heard Senator Rod Grams of
Minnesota refer to Social Security as a Ponzi scheme.  Indeed there are
many folks that feel this way.  There is even objective evidence from
independent expert research to support this assertion.  For example, the
University of Delaware professor of Economics William T. Harris based
on his research published in the international social science journal
Humanomics in January of 1998, described Social Security as a "pyramid
scheme" in an interview last year.  He estimated that about $6.6
Trillion dollars was the net present value of the Ponzi-like transfers
of the benefits paid to retirees from 1940 through present in excess of
what their contributions would justify. Of course this can not continue
and he indicated that younger workers will pay the price in much, much
lower returns than the earlier generations.  The interview with
Professor Harris on this subject can be found at the Internet address:
http://dogbert.kepler-solutions.com/newswise/articles/1998/6/PONZI.UDE.html
Nobel economist Milton Friedman in an article entitled "Social Security
Chimeras" that appeared in the New York Times (1/11/99) estimated the
unfunded liabilities of the current Social Security system to be between
$4 Trillion and $11 Trillion dollars.  I don't know what a "Chimera" is,
but I think $4 Trillion dollars is a heck-of-a-lot-of-money!  That's
more than Bill Gates has!

Even here in our discussion last week in this national dialogue on
Social Security, former Congressional Budget Office director Robert D.
Reischauer (now with The Brookings Institution), after much debate in
this area, said  "...its water over the dam. For societal reasons, we
decided to provide the initial cohorts of retirees (those retiring from
1940 through to the present) with benefits that exceeded those that
could be justified by their contributions."  Indeed, during the first
week of April way back in 1994 I recall hearing Mr. Reischauer giving a
speech to the Concord Coalition where at that time he estimated the
excess benefits at about $2,100 per retire in that year.  There are other
more succinct and colorful ways to say it, but I'm sure you understand
how many young workers might feel they have been taken advantage of
given this situation that has evolved over the life of Social Security.
This problem was brought on by Social Security benefit bidding wars in
hotly contested elections long before the young workers of today were
voters, perhaps even before they were born.  To their credit the younger
generations are interested in putting in safeguards in any new, reformed
Social Security system that would prevent this from burdening future
generations with debt and unfunded liabilities as generated by the
transfers described above have burdened them under the current system.

Based on the above, I have a couple of general questions I hope each of
you might answer:

(1)  How would each of you explain to young workers who are struggling
to buy a home, perhaps generate enough income to send their kids to a
better school, or to save for their on retirement, etc., why they should
not believe, based on the evidence given above, Social Security is just
a Ponzi scheme and it should just be ended ASAP?

(2)  Many believe a way to prevent the fundamental processes that led to
the Social Security system getting out of balance as described above is
to have individual Private accounts whose balances are owned and managed
by each worker, do you agree or do you have other safeguards in your
proposals that would ensure that any new system would not get out of
balance like the current Social Security system did?

I support Private personal accounts because the can do two
very important things at the same time --- they enhance individuals
freedom to choose to invest the money they earn as they see
fit and privately owned accounts give a better safeguard against
problems such as we have now from creeping back up on future
generations.

I would like to thank you for participating in these discussions and I
look forward to your responses.  Thanks.