Permits (was,RE: let's get real)

My overview of the water permit data, to take one example, seems to show that they aren't generally enforced effectively. How is it a victory when a community group goes through a lot of effort to influence a permit, and thinks they've "won", when in reality nothing changes?

I have my doubts about the usefulness of making libraries more efficient distributors of permit how-tos and public comment notices. Since it can be done fairly cheaply over the Web, I suppose that it might as well be done, if EPA can ever collect the data from the states that they'd need to do it. If it's not done nationally, the more polluter-friendly of the states are sure never going to do it. Unless they finally decide that the public comment process is worthwhile because it encourages the illusion of public involvement without the reality.