RE: Effectiveness of the New EPA Office of Environmental Information

You raise some good points, this office clearly has to be managed, funded, etc... But the main thing any new office has to do is be able to shake up the power structure and cause change in the activities of the EPA programs. The key to this is to not only give this office funds that can be provided in one time grants for pilot projects or model programs, but it also has to be given the authority to shape the way EPA spends its ongoing grant programs that fund delegated programs. I have mentioned elsewhere that I think this can be done in the Performance Partnership Grants where innovation is the name of the game, but it is also important that they be able to influence the way all EPA funds are spent.

IF they are given the authority within EPA to make policy concerning EPA grants, then they can force all funded activities to produce outputs in a more coordinated fashion that is consistent with an overall strategy to address the many issues raised in this dialogue. Otherwise, they will probably make a few good strides, but the overall system will remain fractured.