Back to Pittsburgh I-Net Home
Debate & Discuss
Message Archive

More AT&T - Portland URLs

Oregon ruling may fuel open access fight
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,0-37409,00.html

AT&T told to open Internet access (Seattle Times and Associated Press)
http://www.seattletimes.com/news/local/html98/cabl_19990605.html

Judge to AT&T -- Free access for all!
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2270297,00.html

AT&T Loses Round 1 On Cable-Net Access
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2270283,00.html

AT&T takes a blow in cable fight with ISPs
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?99064.enatt.htm

Of course, AT&T is not giving up. From the last article:

"In a statement, AT&T implied strongly that it will appeal the
district court's ruling.

   "The actions taken by officials of Portland and Multnomah County go
beyond the legal authority municipalities have to review cable
franchise transfers. Clearly we will continue to pursue our legal
case," AT&T said in the statement.

   The National Cable Television Association (NCTA) offered a similar sentiment.

   "We shouldn't over-read this decision," NCTA spokesman Scott
Broyles said in a prepared statement. "It wasn't too long ago that a
federal district judge in Wichita, Texas, ruled that the
Telecommunications Act of 1996 was unconstitutional. That's why we
have appellate courts."

Swift Search Quick Questions Fast Facts Debate and Discuss Briefing Book