Back to Pittsburgh I-Net Home
Debate & Discuss
Message Archive

New restrictions on @Home service

There's been some news recently on cable modem service that is relevant to our discussions.

TCI's provider of cable modem service, @Home, is limiting the bandwidth that cable modem subscribers can use.  The limits may make impractical many of the video and audio uses cited in the Working Group's April 16 proposal.  The limits demonstrate the need for a separate dedicated I-Net.

The April 16 proposal included two elements: (1) free cable modem service for community groups as a short-term response to the groups' needs for bandwidth and (2) construction of an Extendable I-Net to serve longer-term needs.  The cable modem service shares the bandwidth of the company's cable tv system, while the I-Net would provide spans of fiber dedicated to the City, school district, libraries and community groups.

@Home is imposing the limits because certain kinds of uses involving large amounts of data are crowding out the available shared bandwidth.

Accordingly, @Home is limiting the upstream speeds (data sent from the subscriber to others) to 128 kilobits per second.   This affects people who send data to others and make the data on their computers (servers) available to others.

Instead of providing 2.8 megabits per second (2.8 mbps)speeds ("peak speeds over 100 times faster than a 28.8 kbps modem") as advertised, the company will provide 2.8 mbps "downstream" to the subscriber and only 128 kilobits per second (128 kbps or 0.128 mbps) "upstream" from the subscriber to others.

The upstream bandwidth limits may make impractical many of the community group uses cited in the Group's April 16 proposal.  These include any uses in which community groups transmit video, audio and large data files to others -- video and audio applications for arts and educational programs, video and audio of community group meetings, and telemedicine.

In terms of the impact of the limits on the Group's April 16 proposal, the City should prevent TCI from imposing the upstream limits on any cable modem service provided to community groups.  However, since the limits are actually a reflection of the limited bandwidth on the cable tv system, the City should take an even stronger position on the need for the independent bandwidth of the I-Net.

The following is a post to a discussion list representing to be a copy of @Home's explanation for the changes:

http://24.8.66.231/fordman/@home.txt

A reference to separate additional limits on downstream bandwidth that apply to streaming video can be found at http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,29320,00.html

Ashley Schannauer

Swift Search Quick Questions Fast Facts Debate and Discuss Briefing Book