Re: Strong points about dissemination

Gwen Solomon (gwen@gsn.org)
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 09:23:34 -0800

Hi Ray and all members of this discussion!

To anwser your question -- my project, The Well Connected Educator, was
funded last fall for dissemination by NIE. The Well Connected Educator is
an on-line publishing center and forum for those in the K-12 community to
write and talk about educational technology.

The URL is http://www.gsh.org/wce

I publish the work of NSF and other projects from the perspective of the
grass roots participants (teachers, parents, community members) so that we
can all learn from what has worked and not worked in the past. Some NSF
projects are already represented there and I hope that more will join in.
(I'll buttonhole everyone at the PI meeting in Pittsburgh in hopes of
getting people to write.)

I want teachers to think about their practice, consider how and when
technology makes a difference, and write about it. In the process, I hope
to create an understanding that teachers are the best classroom researchers
and can/should write and be published. I also want teachers to believe that
their work and their writing are valued; so there's a stipend. (There are
also writing coaches and an editorial board.... I could go on and on but
I'll save some information for later.)

Thanks for asking the perfect question (from my perspective).

Gwen Solomon

At 08:06 PM 3/18/97 -0400, ray@notes.concord.org wrote:

>From: Raymond M Rose@CONCORD CONSORTIUM on 03/18/97 08:06 PM
>
>Has the NSF ever funded a dissemination project?  If so what happened? The
>type of project I'm talking about is one  whose sole purpose is
>dissemination of other NSF projects.
>
>Ray Rose
>

>Please respond to dissemination@info-ren.pitt.edu
>
>To:   dissemination@info-ren.pitt.edu
>cc:    (bcc: Ray Rose)
>Subject:  Strong points about dissemination
>

>this is one I whloheartedly agree with; the problem is how to help the
>average academic researcher in doing an effective job at 2), very few
>of us have any experience in even how to approach this even if we want
>Kurt maly
>
>Bob Tinker writes:
> > Hi all:
> > I am going to make some strong statements just to get the conversation
> > started.  Disagree, chime in, elaborate, or make your own statements!
> >
> > 1) The NSF wastes most of its funding because most projects result in
> > reports that sit gathering mold on library shelves.
> >
> > 2) Creating products that for-profit companies market is the most
> > effective form of project dissemination.
> >
> > 3) Even research projects should devote major resources to
> > identifying, creating, and supporting products.
> >
> > 4) The relationships between grants and marketing companies can become
> > too chummy; clearer guidelines are needed.
> >
> > 5) Workshops for a few teachers and presentations at professional
> > meetings are ineffecient dissemination strategies.

Gwen Solomon, Director
The Well Connected Educator
837 E. Palm Drive
Glendora, CA 91741