Re: working with agencies

farley@infobahn.icubed.com
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:14:27 -0500

We have a lot of local experience, here in Pittsburgh, working with public
housing communities towards the goals to which you referred.  I'll be at the
Friday evening event at the Hiltom on April 4th.  Find me, and we can talk.

                                Regards,

                                Dave Farley
                                Office of the Mayor

At 03:45 AM 3/31/97 -0600, you wrote:
>The LeMoyne Gardens Educational Initiative which aims to reach the
>"information have nots", depends solely on  social service agencies and
>community outreach groups  in order to reach the targeted population of
>the public housing development residents that we serve.  Political
>changes  affect  agencies and groups and the quality of services they can
>offer their clients.  Frequent personnel and political changes at various
>levels of the housing authority administration, even the 1995 HOPE VI
>revitalization grant, have negatively impacted on our program because of
>the disruption in communications  which, I should add, is not easy to
>establish; the disruption in the lives of the clients in the form of  the
>uncertainty that comes with not knowing where or when they will be
>relocated during the revitalization process.
> Each agency has its own priorities and frequently do not see the need
>for introducing computers to low income people.  Many of these
>administrators are themselves computer illiterates and fail to see the
>connection between the demands of "Families First"  which they are
>responsible for implementing and/or imposing in the lives of their
>clients; and the need for information literacy among the truly
>dispossessed in the information age.
>I would like to know if there are other projects working directly with
>low income residents and the good, bad and indifferent experiences that
>shape the relationship with the agencies involved.

*****
>Rashidah Z. Hakeem, M L S				rzhakeem@mecca.mecca.org
>			    	M   E   C   C   A
>    (Memphis Educational Computer Connectivity Alliance)  http://www.mecca.org/
>LeMoyne-Owen College         voice: (901) 942-6227	   fax: (901) 942-6272
*****

Dave Farley
Grants and Development Officer
Office of the Mayor